Freebies

Freebies
Freebies

Making Thinking Visible

Making Thinking Visible
Making Thinking Visible

Arts Integration

Arts Integration
Arts Integration

Finding Balance & Doing the Fandango



January 4th, back-to-school-day, arrived on the wings of song...Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody to be exact...the ring tone of my cellphone alarm clock.  I fandango'ed my way to the kitchen to feed my furry friends, downed a glass of water, and then saddled up Gracie, my trusty lab/pointer spastic walking partner for an early morning walk.  This was day one of my balance focus. 

"I have run marathons.   I quit smoking-COLD TURKEY!  I can do this."   This was my mantra as I walked past our downtown Starbucks toward our regular walking route.  The siren call of caffeine was loud and persistent, but I ignored it.  I don't like black coffee. I like coffee with a pint of cream and 1/2 a cup of sugar in it.  So, no coffee for me.  Somehow the cream and the sugar don't fit my new balanced lifestyle.

Seriously, all joking aside.  My January focus of finding balance this month is to reclaim my healthy eating habits.  But specifically, I need to follow the MIND-Dash Diet, an Alzheimer's disease prevention lifestyle change.  This means, I don't eat the huge quantities of sugar I crave on an hourly basis.  My mom is the third generation of her family to face this debilitating disease.  I don't want to be the fourth.  So, I have to do this.  Monday morning, I was on fire with commitment and determination. 

Then, I went to work.

Tuesday morning arrived, and I wanted to throw Freddie Mercury across my bedroom.  But, I didn't.  I went to the gym and completed my food journal for the day. 

Wednesday arrived.  Why does Wednesday ALWAYS wipe me out mentally and emotionally? I did not keep up with my food journal or my exercise. 


Thursday.  It was better, but I was really, really tired.

Friday.  Hallelujah!  I celebrated with sushi. 

Things I learned about myself and my balancing attempts:

1. I am an "all or nothing" type of person.  I remember taking an intermediate yoga class and forcing my body into the pose.  The instructor, a little Indian spitfire, scolded me fiercely, "Would you treat your best friend this way?" 

I would not.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were my eating habits.  I need to breathe, enjoy my food, the tracking of it and the gorgeous vegetables I'm now eating.  Sounds crazy, right?  But, it isn't. Check out the picture below. This is what happens when I don't force.  Yummy bean, basil, chicken, and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar, and I enjoyed every bite in the teacher's lounge instead of while sitting in front of my computer in my classroom.

2. For all my type A, over-achieving habits,  I'm an under-achiever when it comes to finding balance.  Maybe it isn't the all or nothing, type A, approach that works.  Personal trainer friends of mine tell me that it is actually the little, consistent efforts that people make on a daily basis.  Sigh. This is difficult for me.

This is my little weekly update.  Tomorrow begins another work week.  I know I won't be perfect, but I will be consistently baby-stepping.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Finding-Balance-For-Teachers-2276034
To check out my balance pack for teachers, simply click the picture to the right. There's a free sample in my store for you too!  I'd love to hear how you're balancing your teaching career and personal life!  Until next time, teach on, my friends!
                  Tracy @ Wild Child Designs









You might be interested in reading the first in the series of my balance posts, as well as another teacher friend also writing about BALANCE! Check out these out!:

http://mossyoakmusings.blogspot.com/2016/01/throwing-my-heart-over-bars-teacher.html

http://paulagehrke.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-about-you.html


To read more from some awesome teacher authors, be sure to check out my colleagues' posts below.  Simply click on the posts that interest you!



4 comments

  1. What an engaging post. I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrific; I cracked reading about your week because I can SO relate!! Keep strong; the threat of Alzheimers is definitely motivation for cutting sugar!! Best wishes on keeping the balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you smile! It made smile writing about it. Thanks for your warm feedback!

      Delete